Cemetery

The Cemetery is located on the corner of West Jefferson and 190th, 1 mile west of Morley.

Aetna Township Cemetery

  • Cemetery lots may be purchased at the township hall during office hours, or by calling the clerk at 231-856-4480 or Dee Barringer at her home 231-856-7091.
     
  • Records for the cemetery have been maintained by the Township clerk and unfortunately some of the early records were destroyed. Currently the township has purchased a computer program that will allow the current clerk to computerize the data and make it easier to access.
  • A cemetery lot contains 4 grave sites and costs  $300.00 for residents or property owners of Aetna Township and $800.00 for non-residents and non-property owners.

  • Single graves are available in a designated section of the cemetery at $75.00 per grave for Aetna residents and property owners or $200.00 per grave for non-Aetna residents or non property owners.

  • Lots with multiple graves are available throughout the cemetery.

  • Summer (April 1 thru November 14) burial fees are $375.00 for adults, $125.00 for children (0 to 2) and $100.00 for cremations.

  • Winter (November 15 thru March 31) burial fees are $1000.00 for all full burials and $500.00 for all cremations. These rates are subject to the current weather and ground conditions at the discretion of the township board.

History

  • The recorded Aetna Township Cemetery deeds start in July of 1896.

  • Registry of death records start in November of 1909.

  •  In 1903 by the vote of the people, $200.00 was raised for the Cemetery. Clearing and stumping was done that year.

  • In 1907 lots and walks were lined up and a fence was built.  William Clark was the sexton. The plot was signed and the price of lots was $8.00.

  • In 1957 or 1958 the north five acres were purchased for enlargement of the cemetery.

  • In 1958 Meta Latimer willed $2,000.00 to the township and it was used to build the vault at the cemetery.

  • In 1969 the new storage building was erected.

  • In 1972 the chemical toilets were added.

  • In 1978 the road was build through the north section.

  • In 1982 the north section was plotted out and the sale of lots in that area began.

  • In 1986 they started clearing the north section.

 

Annual Memorial Day Service